Saturday, April 10, 2010

Remembering Teilhard de Chardin...



"The day will come when, after harnessing space,
the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness
for God the energies of love. And, on that day,
for the second time in the history of the world,
humankind will have discovered fire."

Peking, February 1934, "The Evolution of Chastity" 
in Toward the Future, London: Collins, 1975: 86-87.





“It has sometimes seemed to me there are three weak stones sitting dangerously
in the foundations of the modern Church: first, a government that excludes
democracy; second, a priesthood that excludes and minimises women; third, a
revelation that excludes, for the future, prophecy.’ (Letter to Christophe de
Gaudefroy, 7 October 1929, Lettres in⁄dites, 80)


Pierre Teilhard de Chardin SJ
1881 – 1955
Priest and Paleontologist

3 comments:

  1. Peg, Thank you for posting this...I was a hugh fan of Teilhard de Chardin a long time ago. Wonder why I stopped reading his writings....hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, thank you for your comment. I'm fairly new to blogging. I failed to tag this article and yet you found it. Please write back and let me know how you did it.

    Thanks - I look forward to meeting another Teilhard fan.

    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peg, I just scrolled down your blog and it was there. I didn't do anything special. It caught my eye since I read so many of his writings in my early twenties,until I had kids. Then I seemed to stopped reading anything more thought provoking than Dr. Suess....maybe I will be able to re-acquaint myself with Teilhard and another favorite, Thomas Merton after I retire! Take care.

    ReplyDelete